Yankee fans deal with it all the time.. when people ask you who you're favorite baseball team is, you say, the Yankees. Their response... the Yankees? why the Yankees?
This is then followed by a long discussion as to why the Yankees suck, and me having to defend them.
Now, some questions that Yankee fans have to deal with all the time... and my responses to them. 'Please excuse my french... ahead of time'
1. You're a Yankee fan? you mean the team that overpays their players?
- Yes, i'm a Yankee fan... and when you have the money to spend, you fucking spend it!
2. The Yankees signed Mark Teixeira too?? What the hell, are they going to buy everyone in the free agent market?!
- Well, let's see... Jason Giambi, Mike Mussina, Bobby Abreu, Carl Pavano and Andy Pettite's contracts last year earned a total of 76 or so MM. That all came off the payroll...
A.J. Burnett, C.C. Sabathia and Mark Teixeira's contracts all combined when they're all over and done with are almost a half billion dollars, yes... but their combined 09 contracts are not the 76 million which was owed to all the players that left which were on the 08 roster. So how about you get off the Yankees asses for their offseason spending spree.
3. Oh... you're a Yankee fan? why? You're team just buys all their talent...
-Hey, you look at our roster and compare it to your favorite team's... i bet they have almost the same number of home-grown and free agent players.
4. Wow, the Yankees payroll is so much higher than my team's... it's just unfair.
- Try winning 26 world championships, then maybe you can make a case for your team's low payroll.
I know Yankee fans have to deal with questions like these all the time, especially when ESPN is a very Red Sox biased group of people.
The final question i hear alot is 'You probably just jumped on the band-wagon in the late 90s, didn't you?'
No, that's not why i'm a Yankee fan... i'm sure a few people are fans because of the success that they had in the 90s... but for the majority of us, that's not the case.
You want to know the real reason i'm a Yankee fan today? I grew up in a very Mets loving household, watching the Mets all the time. But when i was about 4 or 5 i saw the Yankees play for the first time (around when they were still sucking in the early 90s), i knew the Mets were not the team for me.
But there was something about the uniform that the Yankees players wore that fascinated me. I'm still not sure what it is, but ever since that first game i saw the Yankees play, i've been a fan.
Before watching my first Yankee game, i'd visited Shea stadium for a few mets games, but it didn't do anything for me... i felt no love for the Mets.
It wasn't until i was about 7 or 8 when i went to my first Yankee game against the Orioles. When i first stepped through that hall leading to the field and saw how green the grass was and how incredible the stadium looked, i knew i would forever be a Yankee fan.